What is Lung Cancer? What are the symptoms and treatment option available – Dr Vinayak Mangal

Lung cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the lungs and usually originates in the cells lining the air passages. It is one of the most common cancers worldwide and a leading cause of cancer-related deaths. There are two main types of lung cancer: non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC). NSCLC accounts for about 85% of all lung cancers, while SCLC makes up the remaining 15%.

Symptoms of Lung Cancer: The symptoms of lung cancer can vary depending on the type of lung cancer and its stage. Some common symptoms include:

It is essential to note that these symptoms can be caused by various conditions, not just lung cancer. However, if you experience any of these symptoms, especially if they are persistent or worsening, it’s crucial to see a healthcare provider for a proper evaluation.

Treatment Options for Lung Cancer: The treatment of lung cancer depends on several factors, including the type of lung cancer, its stage, the patient’s overall health, and other individual characteristics. Treatment options may include:

The choice of treatment will be determined by the oncologist based on the specific characteristics of the lung cancer and the patient’s overall health. It is essential for patients to have open discussions with their healthcare team about the treatment options, potential side effects, and expected outcomes.

Early detection and diagnosis of lung cancer can significantly improve treatment outcomes, so individuals at risk should undergo regular screenings as recommended by their healthcare provider. Risk factors for lung cancer include smoking, exposure to secondhand smoke, exposure to carcinogens (such as asbestos and radon), and a family history of lung cancer. Quitting smoking and avoiding exposure to carcinogens can help reduce the risk of developing lung cancer.

Dr Vinayak Mangal 

Pulmonologist & Allergy Specialist 

MBBS MD Respiratory Medicine (SMS) 

Europian Diploma (Adult Respiratory Medicine) 

K-56, Kalidas Marg, Banipark, Jaipur 302016